Friday 19 June 2009

to play or not to play

David: [while playing pool] I guess there's limits to what money can buy. 
John: Not many. 
Diana: Well some things aren't for sale. 
John: Such as? 
Diana: Well you can't buy people. 
John: That's naive, Diana. I buy people every day. 
Diana: In business, maybe, but you can't buy people not when real emotions are involved. 
John: So you're saying you can't buy love? That's a bit of a cliché don't you think? 
Diana: It's absolutely true. 
John: Is it? What do you think? 
David: I agree with Diana. 
John: You do? Well let's test the cliché. Suppose... I were to offer you one million dollars for one night with your wife. 
David: I'd assume you're kidding. 
John: Let's pretend I'm not. What would you say? 
Diana: He'd tell you to go to hell. 
John: I didn't hear him. 
David: I'd tell you to go to hell. 
John: That's a reflex answer because you view the question as hypothetical. But let's say that there was real money backing it up. I'm not kidding. A million dollars. The night would come and go but the money could last a lifetime. Think of it. A million dollars. A lifetime of security... for one night. Don't answer right away. Just consider it; seriously? 
David: We're positive, okay? 
John: Well then you've proved your point. There are limits to what money can buy. It's late, and I hate to admit it, but I have meetings in the morning. May I have one dance? With your permission. 
David: You know something? I think you better hurry on to that meeting. You don't want to miss out on your next billion. 
John: Understood. I wouldn't part with her either. Good night. 

No comments: